Flood Safety-Protecting your family
Be Ready for Whatever Happens! Prepare before a flood hits and start by Protecting Your Family with these tips from the American Red Cross.
- Talk with your family about what to do if a flood watch or warning is issued. Discussing floods ahead of time helps reduce fear, especially for younger children.
- Ensure that every member of your family carries a Safe and Well wallet card.
- Make sure you have access to NOAA radio broadcasts:
- Find out if you are located in a floodplain, which is considered a Special Flood Hazard Area. If so, you are still eligible for flood insurance. Check with your city or county government (start with the Building or Planning Department) to review the Flood Insurance Rate Maps, published by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA).
- Find out if local streams or rivers flood easily.
- Keep insurance policies, documents, and other valuables in a safe-deposit box. You may need quick, easy access to these documents. Keep them in a safe place less likely to be damaged during a flood. Take pictures on a phone and keep copies of important documents and files on a flashdrive that you can carry with you on your house or car keys.
SERVPRO of Broome, Tompkins & Tioga Counties is ready to assist you and your loved ones, anytime day and night. If your home or business experiences damage during a storm situation our team is qualified and ready to help!
Stay prepared by reading more tips below.